This DIY Fabric Magnet Board is so easy and costs less than $2 to make! I wanted to make something cute for my craft room, and I was able to finish it in about 15 minutes. The cookie sheet was from the Dollar Tree, which was $1, and everything else I already had on hand so it was technically only $1 to make.
I just love the colors, it’s perfect for summer. The magnetic board is perfect for reminders, inspirational quotes, or for my many “to do” lists that I love to create. Haha. You can find nice boards in the stores for $20 or more, but I really didn’t want to spend that much. Plus it was a fun craft to do, I’m going to make one for my daughter’s room now!
DIY Fabric Magnet Board
- cookie sheet
- fabric scrap
- spray adhesive
- hot glue gun
- Mod Podge (optional)
- magnets (optional)
- Cut out a small piece of fabric that will fit the bottom of your cookie sheet. (You can lay the fabric down with the cookie sheet on top and trace around it, then cut it out)
- Spray adhesive along the top where you will be placing the fabric, but just enough to line up the top edge to the top of the fabric. (TIP: add a piece of blue painter’s tape along the top and bottom so that you don’t get sticky adhesive on it!)
- Continue to spray adhesive in 2 or 3 more sections so that you can slowly lay the fabric down and not get creases or lumps. It only takes a few minutes to dry.
- Cut 2 pieces of ribbon and hot glue to the bottom on the sheet. It will lay flat if you glue it at a slight angle, as shown.
- Flip the cookie sheet back over and tie the ribbon in a bow. Done!
- (Optional) Lightly brush fabric edges with Mod Podge, if they are frayed or not fully adhered in places.
Give it some pizzazz by adding ribbon to the top or bottom like I did. You can also create your own Washi Tape magnets for it! Just add washi tape to one side of a clothes pin and trim off any excess. Hot glue a magnet to the back and you have an instant magnet that you can hang notes or reminders from. Endless possibilities here. I also added a piece of ribbon and washi tape to the bottom of the fabric. It’s easily removable too!
I just love this fabric that I had on hand, it’s so bright and cheery. If I want to change it up during the fall or winter, no worries since it was less than $2.00! I think these would make adorable gifts for teachers or friends too, don’t you think?
This post was originally published by Katie Farmer on MomItForward.com on July 10, 2014.