My husband and I both love Bananas Foster. We were lucky enough to have it flambéed table side while on our honeymoon cruising through the Hawaiian Islands. When I came across this recipe for Overnight Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole, I knew I wanted to make this for him for Father’s Day this year!
Straight out of the oven, the bananas foster french toast casserole was golden and delicious. It honestly didn’t need anything else added, it was so full of flavor. But, cut a nice large square, flip it over onto a plate, and you have an instant flambé look and taste!
After flipping it over and onto a plate, I topped ours with a dollop of whipped topping, a dusting of cinnamon, a few extra fresh sliced bananas, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Pure heaven! And my husband loved it, whew. If you like bananas and caramel, you will love this recipe. It would made a nice meal to bring to a new mom or for a group potluck as well. Enjoy!
- -CARAMEL-BANANA TOPPING
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- -FRENCH TOAST
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ? cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ? teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- whipped topping, to garnish
- drizzle with extra caramel or maple syrup, if desired
- Melt the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a small pan over medium heat. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved, stirring constantly. Once sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth, remove pan from the heat, and add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Pour the caramel sauce into pan and distribute it evenly.
- Place the thin banana slices evenly over the sauce.
- Layer half of the bread cubes over the bananas.
- Evenly distribute all of the cream cheese cubes over the layer of bread.
- Fill the pan with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt and whisk together until completely smooth and well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Gently press the bread down with hands so that all of the bread can absorb the egg mixture.
- Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove pan from refrigerator and leave it out on the counter while oven preheats to 375 degrees F.
- Bake uncovered for about 30-40 minutes.
- Let it cool in pan 5-10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, cut a square and flip over onto a plate! This way you see the bananas and caramel dripping over the french toast and you can top with your favorite topping or a little maple syrup.
Recipe source: Chef In Training
Overnight Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole
For more Breakfast recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
Follow Dime Party Divas’s board Breakfast on Pinterest.